True or False: A Blog Brunch tweet-up can often be a mix of chaos, wonderment, “ah-ha moment’s” and unexpected moments of laughter.
As much as this all sounds like an emotional roller-coaster, this statement is true! There happens to be quite a bit going on the first Saturday of the month for us Brunchers, but knowledge is power and we are here to offer a how-to on the Brunching process.
What you’ll need:
A Digital Device with Internet Access: We recommend a computer vs. a tablet or smart phone (for typing purposes) but any way for you to follow the Twitter feed with the hashtag #blogbrunch will do.
A Twitter Account: Our monthly Brunches are hosted on Twitter, so in order for you to participate and track the event, you will need to access an account.
A Method of Note Taking: It’s up to you which you’d prefer; ole fashion pen and paper, typing notes on your computer or favoring tweets but we recommend keeping track of key points or tips that you’d like to remember.
Something to Sip On: Coffee? Tea? Mmm how does a mimosa sound? Our hour of fun can require energy and excitement, so have something handy so you can take a break between questions and recharge.
Steps to Brunch:
1. The before the Brunch begins have a Browser/APP standing by. We recommend either HootSuite or Tweet Deck, so you can make a column with the hashtag #blogbrunch, along with a column that notifies you when others mention you by your twitter handle. If you do not want to install a desktop app, you can use browsers like TweetGrid.
Insider Tip: If you keep the column with the #blogbrunch hastag you can easily visit it throughout the week to see any updated news from #blogbrunch!
2. We recommend you take a moment to prep your answers. On Thursday prior to the chat, the Blog Brunch team will be emailing a set of questions prompted during Brunch. If you have your answers ready to go before hand, you will have more time to interact and ask questions during the event.
Insider Tip: Print out the questions so you have them at your hand and can take notes during the brunch.
3. As the Brunch begins, take a moment to introduce yourself, say “hi” to friends or let people know if you are new to the party. The Blog Brunch twitter account (@blogbrunch) will start asking the questions and you will notice that the conversation will move rapidly.
4. Start to engage in the conversation by posting your own answers and reply to other Brunchers in the event. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #blogbrunch during the tweet-up in order for others to reply and respond to your Q and A’s. (if you are prepping your answers don’t forget to include #blogbrunch so you can estimate 140 or less characters.) Also, don’t read every tweet! It’s okay to engage with only certain conversations during Brunch, or to follow one or two threads during the discussion – don’t worry, there is a recap the following week on the Blog Brunch Blog for you to digest all that you missed.
Insider Tip: This is a great time to chat with some of your favorite bloggers, respond to one of their answers and get involved in a conversation. Who knows, it might lead to a great friendship in the end!
5. After the Blog Brunch, follow new friends you engaged with during the chat and check out all the new blogs you can add to your rss reader!
Insider Tip: We recommend you make “lists” on Twitter so you can track Brunchers and their activity all month long.
We hope you found this “how-to” helpful for your next Brunch! Please let us know if you have any other questions about Blog Brunch or our events.